We may not be alone if we routinely forget to change our air filter.
We know that life is busy, and consequently, we often neglect to perform simple tasks like this.
For best results, we should replace an air filter every three months.
If we have pets and have allergies, it is better to change the air conditioner filter more often.
Keep on reading to know how to change an air conditioner filter.
Signs to know that our Air Conditioner filter needs replacement
If our Air Conditioner filter hasn’t been changed in a long time, these signs will help us to know when it should be:
1. The air condition unit becomes hot.
If the back of the unit is hot, our AC filter needs replacing.
The filter may even spew warm air from the back of the unit if it is clogged.
When the filter gets blocked, the system has to work harder to maintain the temperature.
Due to frequent repairs, this will shorten the unit’s life expectancy.
A simpler way to lower the demand is to change the AC filters frequently.
2. The air is not cool.
We can cite various factors as causes for reduced HVAC efficiency.
The first thing to do when we notice our AC is not cooling is to examine the AC filter.
If we’ve got a dirty air filter, we won’t be able to pass through the fresh air we need.
3. The electric bill increases.
When our electricity bill starts to go up, it is not easy to know where the extra money is going.
An appliance that is not working properly could be the cause, or it could be a poorly functioning AC system.
If the electric bill is unusually high, there is a possibility that the air filter is dirty.
This is why it is essential to have regular HVAC system maintenance.
Keep the HVAC system thoroughly flushed to maintain a more efficient system.
4. The allergy attacks more often.
If we are suffering from an allergy, we should change air filters frequently.
It is difficult to maintain a breathing filter free of dust and pet hair.
When the filter becomes filled with these contaminants, they will be expelled into our living space and travel throughout the air.
As a result, we’ll be suffering from more frequent allergies.
5. There is more dust in the vents.
When an air filter gets dirty, dust may accumulate on surfaces and furniture.
When the surfaces closest to the vents are dusty, our air filter should be replaced.
6. Guide to replace our air condition air filter
The air filter generally happens to be situated near the thermostat.
If we don’t know the filter location, we must first identify it.
The filter location of the return vent does not always coincide with the location of the AC unit so consult the AC unit manual if we cannot find the return vent.
Once the air filter is located, perform these steps on how to change an air conditioner filter
- Loosen the front fasteners and remove the front of the grille. Tear it away. It should be placed behind the screen to be right next to the hood to the HVAC component.
- Reach in and remove it.
- When we are done with the filter, set it aside, and take a look at it. Often, a dirty filter will have a dingy, grayish-brown color.
- An air filter may require replacing if it’s dirty; make sure to get a new one.
- Once we have found the arrow pattern on the filter, determine where it goes. We must take care to ensure the direction of the arrows promotes good airflow. There should be no such thing as an arrow pointing directly at us.
- Once we’ve located the arrows, have them face the wall.
- Gently guide the filter back into the return opening in the duct.
- Examine that the arrows are pointed in the proper direction for the duct.
- To make sure the filter seats correctly, gently place it into the opening.
- Wrap it up.
- Eliminate unnecessary hardware slack.
The job is now done.
Replacing clogged or dirty filters keeps our AC system free of contaminants.
How often must the air filter be changed?
It is a good idea for most people to change the filter every three months to maintain the strength of the quality of the AC unit.
Change it more often if?
- Our pets shed often.
- Our home has a lot of traffic.
- Our home is getting a renovation.
- Allergies occur in everyone.
- The place we live tends to get dusty at any time.
It is also advisable to change the filter out in the summer when it gets dirty and frequently turns on our AC.
Other filtering devices may perform well, but AC filters improve our homes.
Indoor air quality is kept safe from bacteria, mold, viruses, and pests.
They do the same for homeowners.
Changing the system’s air conditioning filter also helps the entire system work more efficiently and lasts longer.
All of us help to keep our houses clean and healthy.